I've been in a slump lately. These last couple of months have been rough. Everyday felt like a private pity party. I use to think I was a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of girl. That I could never be depressed about anything. That's when you realize there are always lessons to be learned in life. Just when you think you've got a handle, you realize you don't. Anyways, I needed something to look forward to. Get a recharge. As soon as I purchased my ticket, I started having regrets. Should I be going?! I have responsibilities here at home?! I didn't fully think this through!! In the end, I'm glad I was impulsive and just bought it. It was just what I needed!
My dad came over to take me to the airport last friday and stayed to watch to the kids. I forget how much fun plane rides can be without kids. I can read, nap, watch movies...it was grand. I had a lay-over in Minnesota and just as we were about to land, the plane accelerated and we started gaining altitude again. The plane that landed before us didn't get off the runway in time and we had to circle around to land. As we were going up, the guy next me jokingly said, "guess we are going back to utah." To which I replied, "I don't want to go back yet!" I told him I just left my kids at home and I wanted my weekend away. The pilot from St. Paul to Reagan was very friendly. He came out to chat and complimented me on my shoes. He was nice. I got into D.C. around 10:45 pm and my friend, Meliss, came to pick me up. We went back to her place where I met her boyfriend and some of his friends.
Saturday morning the weather was a little cold. We had stayed up late the night before talking and slept in a little. We didn't get out of the house until later when we picked up one of her friends that came shopping with us at Pentagon City. It was a HUGE mall.

melissa's friend, gretchen, had to get new glasses. i wanted to get some too except I don't need them. Plus, I sent this picture to dane and he said he was scared. Hope my eyesight never fades...

the owner of this car is a big sports fan. i forget what team he had on the hood.

I bought some jeans and got some gifts for the kids. I didn't buy a lot. For dinner we went to eat some yummy Korean food. We came back to her apartment and started watching Downton Abbey season 1 on netflix. I love it.
Sunday morning we had brunch at her place and headed out to see some sights in the city. We did a lot of walking.
Walked through the seafood market by her place



walked to the Jefferson Memorial


Then we walked to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial



I was told that they are taking off this inscription soon. Some people thought it made him look conceited since he said he wanted to be 'remembered' that way and not that he said he was that. I think it is the same thing, but what do I know. It says..I was a drum major for justice, peace, and righteousness.

They had his quotes around the statue. They were great. Ani has a huge fascination with 'Dr. King'. She learned about him at school and loves everything about him. I bought her some things from the gift shop.

Next, we saw the WWII Memorial.


As we were walking to the White House we passed a parade for St. Patty's Day. We stopped at the vendor to have hot dogs and snacks.

The white house was fun to see. It was pretty crowded and busy.


Our last stop was to the holocaust museum. We couldn't take pictures inside but it was heartbreaking to see and hear what people went through. Videos of people talking about what happened to their families and friends. At the beginning of the tour it says that certain nations are claiming the holocaust never happened. They want to erase the past. How can you erase the deaths of six million people? It definitely left an impression.


That night I decided I wanted to be adventurous and we went to Melissa's favorite Ethiopian Restaurant. It was DELICIOUS! I think it was the first time I had to eat with my hands.




This fish was sooo good. It reminded me a lot of Aku bone. I LOVE Aku bone.
After dinner we went to see the Lincoln Memorial. Meliss said it was something else at night and she was right. It was beautiful at night.



As we were walking back to the car in the dark with no one around, I told Meliss I would like to make it back home and not be killed in a dark forest! She kept saying we were safe but it was spooky!
We finished the night by watching more Downton Abbey and hot chocolate. We were tired! I fell asleep in minutes.
Monday morning Meliss had to work. I braved the metro and went to Arlington Cemetery.

It was so pretty out there. The weather was beautiful and it overlooks the city. Plus, they had a procession going while I was there. They had a horse drawn carriage with the casket and drummers with some other instruments too. It made you very grateful to all our servicemen. I also did the tour of the house and learned about General Lee and his relation to President George Washington. I really liked walking around there by myself. I had time for reflection! It was very peaceful.
President Kennedy's grave

General Lee's home before it was taken

The view from his house

I jumped back on the metro and went back across town to the Library of Congress



It was very busy and I walked through it pretty fast. I walked across the street to the Capitol building but didn't go inside. It is really strict and you have to get rid of a lot of items in my purse. I decided to just see the outside.
I was getting pretty good with the metro and decided to head to the National Mall. It's an area where all the museums are lined up on both sides and they are all free. I actually sat there for awhile trying to decided which one I wanted to go to. The busiest looked liked the Natural History Museum. It said they had a butterfly exhibit and I went to one in Seattle so I decided on the Air and Space Museum. That one was PACKED!




As I was walking through I kept thinking how my kids would love that place. When I was done it was about the time all the museums close so I went back to meet up with Meliss. She made reservations at Serendipity in Georgetown. We went to the H&M there but didn't find anything. There were asians everywhere. Walking around D.C., I rarely saw one. I told Melissa that too and she said it was because they all go to Georgetown and it's a college area.
Serendipity was DELICIOUS. Seriously, so good. We got two appetizers, the spudniks and nachos. Meliss got a shake and also a sundae. I ordered the White hot chocolate and even though I was soooo full, I finished it all. It was that GOOD!





We ordered 80 bucks of appetizers and desserts. I was shocked. Although, the drink was worth every penny in my opinion!
My flight was leaving at 5 yesterday and I headed out early to catch some last sights. I caught the metro to see the Botanical garden. It had every kind of orchid. I loved walking through that place.




The botanical garden is located right by the capitol. The front part. So I checked out the front of it. Just more statues.


I wanted to catch one more museum and chose the Native American Museum. I was talking to Dane as I walked there and he said to let him know if they had any hawaiian things inside. I only found two items.
A canoe


And mac nuts in the gift shop


There was a whole area for kids which I skipped. I think my favorite part was the video on the Quileute tribe. They had a section about this tribe and how it's a real tribe but not how it's portrayed in hollywood. The video was of these teenagers talking about their traditions and the types of questions they asked because they are of this tribe. It was interesting and funny.


It was pretty empty and I loved learning about the different tribes. They had a wall of all or most of the tribes listed. There are so many! Before I left I had to have some fry bread with honey and powdered sugar. It was alright.

I walked through the National Mall area where people were running and playing ultimate frisbee. What a fun place to live.

My last stop was the smithsonian castle. It was right by the metro entrance. This place is dedicated to James Smithson, the founder of the Smithsonian Institution. They have some very random things inside. Kristi Yamaguchi's skates, dishes, Moccasins, and all different types of memorabilia. My favorite part was walking to the back for the garden. The cherry blossoms were in bloom and so pretty!



I had to catch my flight so I headed back to the apartment, showered, and packed up my stuff. We walked across the street for some quick lunch at Z Burgers. The onion rings were gooood! Again, we ordered way too much food and I was starting to feel guilty about wasting. I told Meliss I was going to give it to the next homeless person we saw. She informed me that she did not live in an area with a lot of homeless people and the people I think that are homeless are probably workers, sitting on the side of the road, taking a break. As soon as I walked outside there was a guy that was begging for money. I gave him the food and instead of thanks, he said...I wish it was money! Ha ha. It still made me feel good to not waste it. We took the car for a wash, went past Melissa's work, and she dropped me off at the airport.


It was good to be back with the family again. The best part was coming home to a clean home. I have the best hubby, friends, and family who allowed me to go on this trip. Also,Thanks Meliss for all the fun! I hope to take my kids back there someday. It's the best and most fun way to learn about history. Plus, everything was free. I loved it!
6 comments:
Wow, you sure saw alot in the days you were there! I am so glad you went, you needed it! I want to go to that Ethiopian Restaurant, that looks delish! You and Dane will have to take the kids one day, they will enjoy the museums. That sundae would be my dream dessert, ha-ha!
Looks like a lot of fun! I am glad you were able to go and enjoy yourself!!
we loved D.C., too! It looks like you got way more done than we did! hahaha....I guess that's how it is when you take the kids!:) Glad you got a break away! Someday I'll have to try that. Oh...and a big time out to the homeless guy who wanted money instead. what the?!? It's like...be grateful man!
Sounds like you had such a fun and relaxing trip! I could use one of those and I don't even have kids!! haha! I definitely want to visit D.C.! Great job on taking pictures!!
HOW FUN! Guess you'll have to show us around when you come visit us if we end up going to one of the schools out there! :) You're such a great mom, Leo! You totally deserved a trip like that to relax. Gonna get a little cheesy here, so I'm apologizing beforehand haha, but one of my aunties here made a comment the other day about how I have three kids and said, "how did little Amanda learn how to raise three kids?" and I didn't say it out loud at the time (cuz I was kind of eavesdropping haha) but the first answer that came to mind was "Leo!" :) You're an inspiration, Leo! Keep up the good work!
Awesome! That is a terrible picture of Melissa eating pizza! Hahaha! I didn't recognize her at first.
Post a Comment