Saturday, July 30, 2011

Falling behind... Part 2!

Dane's grandma recently passed away and we made plans to attend the funeral in Hawaii. We bought our tickets and arranged to have people watch Bray and Ani to save money. Sorry kids! We were set to leave Tuesday morning (July 19) and were up late packing and cleaning. We set our alarm for four a.m. and got to bed around two a.m. I'm not sure if we didn't hear the alarm or it didn't go off but I awoke to Dane jumping out of bed yelling that we overslept. I was a crazed mess and just kept repeating to myself...we're not going to make it in time. Dane threw the luggage in the car and I got the kids in their car seats and we took off. As luck would have it, on the way to the airport, we were pulled over by a cop. It just wasn't our morning. He gave us a ticket after we tried to explain our situation and arrived at the airport five minutes after our flight left. The ticket lady put us on standby to fly into Denver and fly directly to Honolulu. She said our chances were fair. We tried twice to fly out and both times we made it to the plane, only to be sent back to the gate. It was so frustrating. In hindsight, we were lucky to have the gate lady we did. She was poly and told us she thought we would only get stuck in Denver. All the flights to Hawaii were overbooked. We seriously lucked out when she offered to refund us all our money for the tickets. So lucky. We decided to try Delta and check out the direct flight. Tickets were pretty expensive and after a heated discussion, I convinced Dane to fly out on his own. He really wanted us all to go but I figured we could bring the entire family down another time with that cash.

Photobucket
The girls were pretty good despite the long day

Photobucket

It was pretty hard driving home after. I was pretty sad to be left behind! We were exhausted though and the girls and I fell asleep for four hours. After our wonderful nap, we went to pick up Bray and Ani. Ani's first comment was about her pa'u (hula skirt) I was suppose to buy for her in Hawaii. Bray's first comment was about his sleepover at the Evan's. He was bummed I ruined his fun plans. Nancy was nice enough to let Bray still sleepover and I let them have a movie night with their friends another night.

On Friday, the 22nd, we spent the morning packing our cooler and camping gear into the car. We had our friend group camping trip we do every year that weekend. My goal was to be at my parent's house by two and we were there by two! Yeah baby. I was pretty proud getting us all there on time. The kids were excited all day to see their friends. Since Dane wasn't here I only planned on helping set up our campsite and our tent and then sleeping at my parents.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That night we had (Reid) Tanaka family, the Goo family, and my brother's friend Tua and his family coming up. We all made tin foil dinners and ended the night with smores. Amanda took baby and Mika home to sleep early. They were out when I came home. Early the next morning I went to pick up Dane at the aiport. We dropped his luggage off and headed back up with my dad and the littlest ones. Everyone was heading down to the reservoir for fishing and swimming. Reid, Keith, and Spencer had gone golfing early in the morning. Poor Aysa got stung on his nose while fishing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Right before lunch the Washington's came in with their new tent. We still don't know how they all fit in their old one, but this one has a lobby! Very nice. After some lunch the boys started a volleyball game. About that time the Wunder's arrived and they had some great games going. One of their games was private school versus public school. Dane, Reid, Keith, and Kahili against Jo, Kelii, Spencer, and James. It was so fun to watch them play. Even though they are getting old, they still get 'em.

Photobucket
she loves sucking her toes!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Even the kids loved watching their daddies play

We headed back down to swim and fish again after they were done. It was pretty hot and we wanted to cool off. Tua guys and the Goo's left to go home.

Photobucket
Before they left we had the kids get together for a group picture!

My parents, the Kamoes, and Alana & Tyler arrived to hang out for dinner. We made smores and banana boats. Aunty Lisa's banana boats are delish! AFter the kiddies finally went to sleep, we enjoyed some spicy ramen Sunny brought. It was so good. Around 1 am the boys were grilling steak. Late night eating during camping is the best!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In the morning we had breakfast and slowly started to pack up our stuff. The weekend went by so quickly. We got everything packed up and said our goodbyes. I remember being a kid and just loving our camping trips. It was sad to leave our friends after being able to play all day. I must say I now realize how much work goes into camping trips. Putting away stuff is the pits. Cleaning and washing takes forever! I can't believe my parents took us so many times! This is probably the best group site ever. Volleyball net, grassy area, and flush toilets. Gotta love flush toilets with so many kids.

While Dane was in Hawaii we had our 9th anniversary. I think that was one of the reasons he pushed me to go with him. It would have been nice to be there together for our anniversary but we did something just as good. We took all the kids with us and went to one of our favorite Japanese restaurants. We use to go every anniversary, it was a tradition. Then the last time my family went they said it wasn't as good. So it had been years since we went. We loved it this time around. The kids loved it too. Bray actually told us we were holding out on them. Ha ha. Well the place is expensive and we probably won't be heading back with them any time soon, even though they ask every day if we can go back.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I can't believe 9 years have passed since we were married. Dane is seriously the best person I know. I'm so happy I made the decision to give the guy a chance. :)

1 comment:

chingchong7 said...

wow! happy 9 years to the both of you!!!
Love your kiddos! They are growing up so fast!
i still think there is room for one more ;) hehe