Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mudrun 2013 Girl's Trip/ So Cal Ragnar

My friends and I do a yearly girls trip.  They've been doing it for awhile now. I just jumped on the bandwagon last year.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to swing it this year with the move and Dane still working on his companies.  He told me to go and well...He didn't have to say it twice.  I booked my ticket before he could change his mind.

On April 15th, I caught the red-eye to Salt Lake.  Kimmie, Nancy, and Crowther came to the airport. They were picking up our rental car.  I met up for lunch with friends from my old neighborhood. We never got our group picture because we were so concerned with Hayes being locked in the guys restroom for about a half an hour.  The Cafe Rio staff were super unhelpful and told us they didn't have a key to the restroom. They tried drilling holes in the wall (dumb) and we called the cops.  A police offer came and tried to assist and in the end we called the fire department.  They had the door open within a minute.  Poor Hayes was so scared.  We hope Julie gets free meals for a year and invites us when we come to town next month.

 photo IMG_5526_zps168d6eff.jpg

Utah was SO cold.  I was not dressed properly since most of my winter clothes, I left at my parents. My parents were suppose to meet me for an early dinner, but my mom had the stomach flu.  Just my dad came and he brought me some warm things.  We ate at Zuppa's and I taught him how to instagram.  I don't think he's been on it since.

 photo IMG_5529_zps3c0154df.jpg

That night we were all (people that came from out of town) sleeping at Kat's house.  Reed just flew in from the Boston Marathon and was telling us how crazy it was.  He did get a cramp in his thigh but still ran strong race.  He was sub 3 hours. He's so fast! He said they were about a block and a half away when the bombs went off.  They weren't sure what was happening and then it was chaos.  He said phones didn't work and they shut down the public transportation.  They ran 26.2 miles and had to walk most of the way back to their place.  I hate that there are so many crazy people in this world.  That night we did shopping for the trip and tried to get to bed at a decent time.  Both Ginny and I were pretty tired from traveling but we both ended up talking until after 1 am.  So dumb.  We left American Fork around 8 am and picked up subway for breakfast.  It was snowing most of the way down.

 photo IMG_5530_zps57001e06.jpg

We stopped in St. George to get a dirty coke from Swig.  It was good!  Then we did some shopping!  We got into Vegas and went straight to Ceasar's Palace and ate at Cheesecake.

 photo IMG_5532_zps6834f4a3.jpg

Took some pictures in the forum

 photo IMG_5546_zps70e1590c.jpg

 photo IMG_5545_zpsc63a098d.jpg

We changed our clothes and walked over to Bellagio.  We had tickets to watch O.  It was pricey but we had front row tickets and I LOVED the show.  It was really impressive. So glad we decided to do it.

 photo IMG_5543_zpsc264b62f.jpg

 photo IMG_5538_zpsb6089bbe.jpg

That night we stayed at Nancy's brother-in-law's house.  He was so nice.  We love hanging with him and talking story.  Larry is the best.

 photo IMG_5612_zpsac745e1b.jpg

Last year we all had matching shirts from Hurley.  This year Kat brought us our shirts. She's so nice!
 photo IMG_5614_zps79a3434f.jpg

We did more shopping! We ate at Cafe Rio before hitting the road to Cali... Road trips are so fun with your friends. The miles fly by when we talk the whole way.

 photo IMG_5548_zps157c9609.jpg

We checked into our hotel.  We went to watch 42.  GREAT MOVIE! Then we came back to get ready for our race the next morning.  That morning we shopped for food and other things we were missing (like a running vest, speakers, and car markers).  We had breakfast again at Subway.

 photo IMG_5551_zps6c1bf7c9.jpg

Van 1 started at 10 am but we didn't have to be at the first exchange until 1 pm.  We decorated the van.  Dane said some things were very inappropriate and wondered if it was college spring break or Ragnar.  I'll share the pictures anyways.

 photo IMG_5555_zps86b064c7.jpg

 photo IMG_5556_zps4e90ae25.jpg

The back said Push it, Push it real good... That was our team name and song.  The other side that I didn't take a picture of had all our names and our legs.  We checked off the boxes each time we finished a leg.  The front was naughty and after awhile we would forget it was on there.  Until people would give us the thumbs up, shake their head, or laugh.

 photo IMG_5553_zpscc6b46ee.jpg

Crowther was our first runner.  She got ready while we decorated the van.  We listened to a safety class and got all signed in.  We started our first legs right around 2 pm.  Right on time.

 photo IMG_5559_zps84d967a5.jpg

 photo IMG_5560_zpsdfb4cb3a.jpg

Crowther's first leg was 8.5 miles.  They told us the heat index was 101 and we sure felt it.  We thought we could assist her but we couldn't find her and then got stuck in traffic.  We had to go to the next exchange so I could be ready.  We were really worried about her since she didn't take any water.  She said she got so desperate, she picked up a water bottle someone had left and drank it.  That's hard core!  My first leg was 3.7 uphill...in the heat... and i just recovered from pneumonia.  I'll just say, I made it. It was hard.

 photo IMG_5565_zpsfc7b3d85.jpg

We survived running in the heat and got a break around 7:30 pm.  We picked up Chic-fil-a and went to the next major exchange.  We tried to sleep.  It was cold sleeping on the grass but the van was cramped.  Around 1:15 am, DJ (Kim's brother) called to tell us their runner was about 40 minutes out.  We got up and packed up our stuff.  I started my run about 2 am and it was nice and cool.  It was so cool that I peed my pants. BAD.  Probably TMI but I was just glad it was dark and people couldn't really see.  Also, the port-a-potty's were always running out of toilet paper.  When it was dark, you would go before you would realize there wasn't any.  I actually picked up some off the ground and used it. Oh yeah. I want to remember that!

Kim always ran after me, then Nancy, then Kat, and then Ginny
 photo IMG_5567_zpsea30eb11.jpg

 photo IMG_5569_zpsb58fcd01.jpg

We finished around 5:30 am and drove to the next major exchange. I was so tired I fell asleep and didn't wake up until 7:30 am.  I was still in my running vest, seat belt on, and running shoes on too. I was pooped.   We drove to Einstein to get breakfast.  My stomach wasn't feeling so hot this last day.  I really tried to watch what I ate to prevent this but the last day I wasn't feeling so good.  Crowther had the most beautiful last leg. She probably had the hardest legs out of the bunch.  She said her last leg was gorgeous views. She loved it.

 photo IMG_5572_zps13e4b938.jpg

On the front window of the van, we wrote "Frezbians for life".  Nancy and I use to always just sit and talk all day long when we lived across the street from each other.  Then we would talk until 2 in the morning.  Dane couldn't understand how we still had stuff to say.  So he use to call her my frezbian.

 photo IMG_5575_zps43544f78.jpg

My last leg was mostly flat except for a mile at the end with a slight incline.  I was done by then. It was a struggle to keep going.  My body didn't have any energy left. It was all mental and the last couple yards I full out sprinted with this girl just to end strong. It was a fun end to my rangar legs.  I was proud I finished.  Everyone seemed to get lost on their last legs. Crowther went the wrong way and ran an extra mile.  Kim got super lost and was so frustrated since she was rocking her last leg.  Even Kat went the wrong way.  We were bummed for them. Ginny did the last run along the pier in San Diego.  We rushed to get to the finish line.  We finished at 5 pm on Saturday.  Best Ragnar EVER. I love my friends.

 photo IMG_5577_zps0933a1be.jpg

 photo IMG_5618_zps699bfea8.jpg

 photo IMG_5580_zps7ccf8fbd.jpg

Got my medal
 photo IMG_5585_zps77b8bac8.jpg

Our ragnar tattoos on our calves.  Mine didn't work so well...
 photo IMG_5587_zps14efa850.jpg

Every van got a free pizza.  We listened to the bands and walked around a bit.  We were pretty tired so we went to the hotel.  We washed all our stinky running clothes and jumped in the jacuzzi.  We left when one of the guys kept playing footsies with Kat.  Ha ha.  No one was allowed to shower (Naughty nancy did) and we went to Old town to eat Mexican food.

 photo IMG_5595_zps62d1a83a.jpg

A lot of us were hobbling around and sore so we didn't walk around much.  We crashed hard that night.  The next morning it felt so good to sleep-in.  We started packing and getting ready.  The hotel had free beach cruisers and we went for a bike ride to work out tired muscles. It was so fun and it was a beautiful day!

 photo IMG_5606_zps29854142.jpg

We rode to a place to eat breakfast. I did not like what I got but Nancy's burger was really good.  It had a beautiful view of the boats.
 photo IMG_5613_zps52238c8f.jpg

 photo IMG_5603_zps833f4326.jpg

Then we did more riding
 photo IMG_5605_zpsff65b732.jpg

 photo IMG_5599_zps535e9764.jpg

 photo IMG_5601_zps5e085135.jpg

We packed up our stuff and did one more stop at TJ MAX.  We bought gifts for the kids and hubbies. My flight left first so they dropped me off.  Even though I was sad our trip was at an end, it helped knowing we will be in Utah next month.  We all agreed this was one of the best trips ever!

 photo IMG_5616_zpsb877e3b9.jpg

I'm not use to living in Hawaii yet.  When I got into LA for my layover, I freaked a little when I couldn't find a 7 pm flight to Salt Lake City. I thought they had canceled my flight and knew Dane was going to be ticked I wasn't coming home that night.  Well... it took me awhile but I did realize I was flying to Honolulu...where I actually live now. My husband is totally the coolest guy for letting me hang with my friends for almost a week. He didn't have the easiest week either since 3 of the 4 kids had bad coughs.  Towards the end of the week, he took Kiele in to find out that she had pneumonia.  He handled it all.  He's seriously amazing. Thanks Dane-e!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Look like it was an awesome trip!!! And nice job! Now to do the half with me.....????