Monday, April 08, 2013

March...and a little bit of April

A lot has happened this month.  So lets get started!

We planned our first camping trip.  We went to check out a couple places.  One place was Malaekahana.  It was beautiful but not everyone in the group liked it.

 photo IMG_5171_zpse3d72c4f.jpg

Kiele loves her panda gift from my brother guys

 photo IMG_5166_zpsaef554ee.jpg

We love our japanese crepes.  We found a place in Shirokiya.  It wasn't as good as the Seattle ones.

 photo IMG_5337_zps9b65daa8.jpg

The kids love park days

 photo IMG_5176_zps5bcfcd8e.jpg

Noelle invited me to hike Makapu'u lighthouse one morning.  It's paved so you can push strollers.  It's STRAIGHT UP HILL. I was sweating so bad. It's beautiful and totally a fun hike. We even saw whales. I loved it.  When we were done, we went to Noelle's sister's place to swim at her pool. Joy is just as sweet as Noelle. She served us lunch and it was so fun to swim in the pool.  I could have done without Kiele just walking in everytime I turned my back. Crazy girl!

 photo IMG_5255_zps7af5677e.jpg

 photo IMG_5253_zps6d51e77e.jpg


We took a slight break from Preschool since we had spring break and all holidays.  Before the break we did a rally at the city building.  A representative came to the school to talk to us about the benefits of early childhood education.  We're hoping our school still gets funding.

 photo IMG_5275_zpsab29dcc7.jpg

 photo IMG_5274_zps803e1d8b.jpg

 photo IMG_5185_zpsee55ceaf.jpg

 photo IMG_5184_zps2b89cc2c.jpg

Daniel and Mika
 photo IMG_5188_zpsc4525e1d.jpg

Mika was a flag holder.  A proud flag holder.
 photo IMG_5182_zps4748b386.jpg

Bray finished his soccer season out with no wins.  It was an interesting season.

 photo IMG_5193_zps076fec3a.jpg

 photo IMG_5199_zpsfde0cf35.jpg

We found a love for kaka'ako kitchen

 photo IMG_5214_zps78097edd.jpg

 photo IMG_5222_zpsf988119b.jpg


Mika likes to grab different shoes
 photo IMG_5219_zps44dcf013.jpg

After camping, Kiele loves headlamps!

 photo IMG_5163_zpsca8ee92f.jpg

Our friends, the Gibsons, came out to our side to surf.  Waikiki was super choppy and had jellyfish.  We ended up paddle boarding at Ala Moana. Kelii ended up twisting his ankle and Bray had a suspicious sting that was bleeding.  It wasn't the nicest day but it was still fun to hang with friends.

 photo IMG_5229_zpsa45b261e.jpg

 photo IMG_5230_zps94e8a713.jpg

Ani and Malia
 photo IMG_5235_zps6443b775.jpg

 photo IMG_5238_zpsf26d2b31.jpg

It seems like we are always dragging these two around. Boy, are they noisy.

 photo IMG_5262_zps034cfee8.jpg

 photo IMG_5267_zpsc8dbd54e.jpg

My grandfather had his birthday on March 11th and two days later he fell getting dressed for the temple. I got a call from my dad around 5 am and by 7 am I was at Pali Momi emergency room.  It didn't look good from the start.  He quickly fell into a coma and as more time passed, it looked less and less like he would recover.  They found he had fractured his third and fourth vertebrae.  If he was to wake up, he would be on a breathing tube for the rest of his life.  He had also stopped breathing when he first fell and it took 20-30 minutes to revive him.  They weren't sure the brain damage that might have incurred.  They put him in ICU and slowly our huge family trickled in to check in on him.  I was included in most of the family councils and meetings since my dad was in Utah. I was keeping him updated.

Grandma sleeping...
 photo IMG_5278_zps0392996a.jpg

I think at some point we had about 40-50 people there waiting in that hall

 photo IMG_5272_zpsba6c7a0b.jpg

There were a lot of iPads, iPhones, and iTouches

 photo IMG_5280_zps762085a1.jpg

 photo IMG_5282_zps99cbbb8a.jpg

 photo IMG_5289_zpsced229df.jpg

The second and third day we got smart and brought food to eat all day.  Grandma made spam musubi's for everyone.

 photo IMG_5283_zps413dfcb0.jpg

They told us to wait 48 hours before we made an decisions.  Grandpa wasn't doing well and we all felt like he would want to be taken off life support.  March 15th was a Friday and everyone came to say goodbye.  They left about five go in at a time and it took about two hours for everyone to go in and say goodbye.  A little after five they had all the children go in with Grandma.  I was able to go in for my dad, Joseph went in for his dad, and Stephie was in there because she's a nurse.  I facetimed my parents and they took out his breathing tube.  He was so dependent on it that it only took a short time for him to pass away peacefully.  It was heartbreaking for me to watch my grandma say goodbye to her sweetheart.  I was glad that I could be there for my dad.  So he could feel a part of it.  He was a hard grandpa growing up but he changed so much over the years.  Accepting the gospel changed him so much.  He was such a great grandpa to my kids.  I can still imagine him calling me, Miss Leo.  He did such a good job making me feel like he cared and loved us, even though we lived so far away.  I am sad that my kids didn't get to spend more time with him, but I'm grateful for the time they had since we moved here.  They were able to make some wonderful memories with him. He attended the temple weekly and I admire him for how he really embraced the gospel once he decided it was true. I'm so grateful to know that I will see him again.  He will truly be missed.

 photo IMG_5299_zps06ed17e3.jpg

 photo IMG_5304_zps0c643891.jpg

Once the funeral arrangements were made, I booked my dad's ticket to come. It was a sad time but we were so happy he was coming. The kids have missed my parents so much!  The following day was so busy.  We woke up early to meet up with Dane's friend/old coworker that was visiting.  We had breakfast at Sam Choy's.

 photo IMG_5325_zps19afdf9a.png

After breakfast we drove out to Ko'olina to meet up with Dane's friends, Nikki and Kelli Lim.  They are both married now and it's been awhile since we've seen them.  Brandon and Kim came too. It was fun and a good distraction for me.

 photo IMG_5320_zps33ef38e0.jpg

 photo IMG_5322_zps376355fe.jpg

 photo IMG_5324_zps74d3755e.jpg

We went next to Waikiki to surf with our friends, the Lau's.  It was such a busy day.  Fun, fun.

 photo IMG_5204_zps120ec19a.jpg

 photo IMG_5211_zpsf4f4e9d6.jpg

 photo IMG_5208_zps3bef4109.jpg

The following week was spring break.  I was able to go to the temple with my grandma the Wednesday after my grandpa passed.  She's gone every week with him and I didn't want her to be alone. My aunty Jan and cousin, Tati also came.  That weekend we went camping with the Tupou's, Lau's, Soon's, and Nikora's. It was rainy at Kualoa.  It was still so fun, but wish we would of had some nicer days.  I had a sore throat the first day I went and by the time we left on Sunday, I was having fevers and chills.

 photo IMG_5360_zps805a3c04.jpg

Porsche was here and so sweet to help dane clean all the camping stuff.  Taking down camp in the rain really did me in and the next seven days, I had a fever.  I thought it was the flu and decided to just wait it out since we have no insurance.  During that time my dad came to Hawaii.  He would take the kids to get shave ice so I could rest.

 photo IMG_5363_zps463a29ef.jpg

I was seriously in bed having chills, body aches, and fevers for over a week.  Dane was amazing and got the kids off to school, did their homework with them, and took them to baseball, dance, and scouts. I rarely left our room.  After my dad arrived, my mom came a couple days later and that was awesome because my parents would take all the kids so dane could have a break.  After my mom came in to town, the Evans arrived.  We've been so excited to have them for months, I made myself get out of bed.  I felt horrible but we took lei's to greet them at the airport.  It was Nancy's birthday so we went to dinner and by the end of the night, I had a high fever and was puking.  It was so junkie to be sick when everyone was visiting!

 photo IMG_5364_zps94a519ac.jpg

 photo IMG_5372_zps56385832.jpg

 photo IMG_5371_zpsbb5c494e.jpg

 photo IMG_5369_zps1f0e0714.jpg

 photo IMG_5373_zpsb9d8306a.jpg

 photo IMG_5374_zpsf918eff2.jpg

The next day I was sick as a dog in bed. By night I tried to get out and we met my parents and the Evan's at Leonard's.  My parents took the kids with them.  I was STILL waiting for the flu to stop!

 photo IMG_5388_zps5e6566e6.jpg

 photo IMG_5389_zpscf80c24d.jpg

 photo IMG_5390_zps87af6273.jpg

By Saturday I finally told Dane to take him into instacare.  I found that I did not in fact have the flu.  I had pneumonia and Bronchitis!  No wonder.  She says that it is not good to have fevers for nine days I should have come in earlier. Oops!  I was hoping I would instantly feel better, but that was the case. I started taking my antibiotics.  That night I went to my grandpa's services.  I barely made it through. I think I was crouched in the truck shivering with a high fever as soon as it was done. Thank goodness my parents took the kids again.  I have no pictures because I was seriously just trying to pep talk myself into staying.

Sunday was Easter and a total bust.  We barely had baskets for them and they missed most of church since my parents didn't know what time to be there.  The Evan's came to our ward and I was home in bed. Lame.

 photo IMG_5391_zpsba30a889.jpg

Dane took the older three kids to hike Makapu'u with the Evans.  My parents came over for dinner and Dane brought the Evans back with them.  The Evans had their backpack and camera stolen from the car when they went to look at the blowhole.  What a bummer! I was still sick on Monday. I swear it felt like I would never be healthy again.  Tuesday was the first day I felt like my body wasn't aching.  I was weak from being in bed for over a week but I felt a little bit better.  I was happy too since it was the day of my grandpa's burial.

 photo IMG_5395_zpsa2014288.jpg

 photo IMG_5397_zpsb3de2e86.jpg

All the cousins
 photo IMG_5404_zps9a01ac5d.jpg

My dad, his siblings, and grandma
 photo IMG_5401_zpsbfcf56d4.jpg

 photo IMG_5403_zpsc6ef907c.jpg

It was a beautiful day and a memorable service.  What a great way to honor the life my grandpa lived!
For lunch we went to Kun Wa.  It was fun to be with family.

 photo IMG_5402_zps454a6bcd.jpg

My parents took the younger two kids one that night.  We were busy getting things ready for Bray's party the next day.  Wednesday morning we met my parents and the Evan's at the swap meet.  It was the first time I was able to spend time, feeling semi healthy, with them.

 photo IMG_5408_zps806047d4.jpg

 photo IMG_5407_zpsb596b701.jpg

 photo IMG_5406_zpsdad7f8ff.jpg

 photo IMG_5405_zps7131f022.jpg

The kids get out early on Wednesdays so we planned Bray's party that day.  He wanted to surf for his birthday.  My parents were leaving on his actual birthday so we did it the day before.  My parents came, Dane's family, the Lau's, the Evan's, and the Kim's. It was such a great day. I think Bray was so happy!

 photo IMG_5411_zpsc88102e2.jpg

 photo IMG_5414_zps50b1c0f9.jpg

 photo IMG_5418_zpsad67091a.jpg

 photo IMG_5422_zps7a911eb9.jpg

 photo IMG_5432_zps22e556a5.jpg

 photo IMG_5433_zps356cfd8d.jpg

My parents bought Bray a sushi board for his birthday.  He was so excited to try it out.

 photo BraySurfing_zps57cfbba2.jpg

His surfing buddy, Jon

 photo BrayampJohn_zpsba5bdea8.jpg

 photo BraySurfingBW_zps737fdddb.jpg

 photo IMG_5431_zpsdeeecf0e.jpg

The Evan's were able to surf for the first time and we had pizza delivered to the beach! It was great.  I didn't think we could make it as fun for him this year but it was a great one. It was even more special since my parents and the Evan's were here, too.

Bray's birthday was on the Thursday.  We took the Evan's to Waiola's shave ice (our favorite) and I don't think they like it much. Dane swears they are watering down their syrup.  Too bad.  We drove them out to the Valley of the Temples.

 photo IMG_5442_zpsae23c83e.jpg

 photo IMG_5435_zpsa5f61c3d.jpg

 photo IMG_5441_zps351091a9.jpg

Once the kids got out of school, we went to meet up with my parents. We actually went back to Waiola's since my parents wanted it one last time.  Then we went back to the house and the kids did their homework.  For dinner, we met up the Kang's at Ala Moana.  Bray chose Island's Burgers for his birthday dinner.

 photo IMG_5445_zps1cd50918.jpg

Then we said goodbye to my parents.  It made it easier since we will be in Utah next month.  It was still sad to see them go!

 photo IMG_5447_zps6f678e55.jpg

Nancy and I went to see, The Host that night. Junk. Pure Junk! What a waste. Still, I love spending time with my BFF.  Friday we told the kids we were checking them out early.  I always feel so guilty doing it.  Anyways, we went out to Lanikai.  One of the prettiest beaches on the island, in my opinion! The weather was alright too.

 photo IMG_5452_zps87fc17cf.jpg

 photo IMG_5454_zps0891926c.jpg

 photo IMG_5456_zps2df8d18a.jpg

 photo IMG_5460_zpsc5d41a1b.jpg

That night we went to see the fireworks from Magic Island. It was just a short walk from their hotel.

 photo IMG_5465_zps31d2370f.jpg

Then we left all the kids at the hotel and went to Tiki's grill for dinner

 photo IMG_5467_zps469a04c6.jpg

 photo IMG_5468_zps3af159b5.jpg

Those Evan girls are such great babysitters. I miss them!

Saturday we met up at Noelle's, in Nu'uanu.  She showed us a short, cool hike to King Kamehameha III's summer palace.  Then she took our friends to a hike by their house to a sliding rock and swimming hole. Dane and I were suppose to check out a house and had to jet.  Noelle is awesome.  She still entertained our friends for us.  Once we were done with that, we met them at Waikiki for one last surf session!

 photo IMG_5470_zps81547094.jpg

 photo IMG_5472_zpsb89079ef.jpg

 photo IMG_5480_zps33466c93.jpg

 photo IMG_5481_zpsc2edc81f.jpg

I sure know how to choose my friends! Noelle let us all come back to her place for dinner.  We picked up some Thai food and talk story.  It was so much fun.  Their last day was today.  We took them to Shimazu's for some shave ice. Dang, their syrup is good!  I liked that place.

 photo IMG_5484_zpsb24cc5c1.jpg

 photo IMG_5488_zpsec0d997c.jpg

I'm not sure I can be friends with them since I don't think they liked this place either.  I can't be friends with people that do not have good taste in Shave Ice. :)  We went to Pearl harbor after just to walk around.

 photo IMG_5490_zps33c4cd55.jpg

 photo IMG_5494_zpsd5dc84b3.jpg

We picked up some Korean BBQ and drove up Tantalus to Round Top to enjoy an amazing view and eat.  We got eating alive by the mosquitoes!

 photo IMG_5503_zpsf67d4b55.jpg

We dropped them off at the airport a couple hours ago.  They tried to give up their seats to get vouchers and to stay one more night. It didn't work. Bummer.  We had so much fun with them here. I just wish I didn't have funeral stuff or my pneumonia at the beginning.  We can't wait until they come again!




No comments: