Sunday, August 30, 2009

Top of Utah Half -- DNF (Did Not Finish)

For the past month I really went back and forth on this race. I wasn't sure if I was ready. Two weeks before the race my running felt good and I was picking up miles and my pace. I signed up and the next day I hurt my knee. I stayed off of it hoping it would be alright and it wasn't. I wasn't even far into the race and I had to stretch it out and stop. I only made it past mile five and I probably limped over a mile. I called Dane crying asking him if I should just try and walk this whole race instead of quitting. He told me there would be other races and to not make my knee worse. I guess Bray was up and heard that I was hurt. Bray told me later that he went in his room and cried a little for me. He's my sweet little boy. It was pretty frustrating and disappointing but I'm over it now. I'm just hoping for it to heal quickly. I was lucky that one of the other girls decided not to do the race because of an injury and she was able to pick me up. We went up with six girls and three of us were injured. All the injured ended up not finishing the race. If I was smart...I probably wouldn't have run the race. Oh well. You live and learn. I'm still glad I went up because I had a blast with all those girls. They are sooo funny.

The night before we ate at Olive Garden. Dustin came to hang out and eat with us. He's funny. I'm glad he was able to come.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the race. (Left-to right: Ginny, Kim, Me, Kat, Nancy, and Aimee) Ginny and Nancy were the other two that were injured. The rest of the girls did so good. Aimee is from the Logan area and didn't drive up with us. It was her's and Kat's first half. Mine too, if I had finished. :)

Photobucket

Our Car.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Erica said...

Sorry to hear that your knee did not hold up for ya. But way to go for still giving it a shot. Dane is right, there are other races. Glad you did not push it and get more injured. I would love to do this one year.

chingchong7 said...

I'm glad you didn't push yourself and get injured even more!! Dane is right, there are plenty of other races! Maybe the next one I can join in with you!

Mike & Nicole said...

Maybe you needed a good swim and bike to warm you up before the run? 5 miles on a bum knee is pretty impressive!

Leo said...

it was definitely because i didn't swim or bike before. i should have consulted you before my race. ;)